This accessibly written and authoritative guide updates the beloved
and much-used 1970s classic Seacoast Plants of the
. In this completely reimagined book, Paul E. Hosier
provides a rich, new reference guide to plant life in the coastal
zone of the Carolinas for nature lovers, gardeners, landscapers,
students, and community leaders.
* Detailed profiles of more than 200 plants, with color photographs
and information about identification, value to wildlife,
relationship to natural communities, propagation, and landscape
* Background on coastal plant communities, including the effects of
invasive species and the benefits of using native plants in
* A section on the effects of climate change on the coast and
* A list of natural areas and preserves open to visitors interested
in observing native plants in the coastal Carolinas.
* A glossary that includes plant names and scientific
With a special emphasis on the benefits of conserving and
landscaping with native plants, this guide belongs on the shelf of
every resident and visitor to the coasts of the Carolinas.